THE ~XQ~

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Go Back   THE ~XQ~ > GENERAL > News, Social issues and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
MACHINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Mike, I have always respected your opinion even though we butt heads politically. But those who are trying to sell us that we have to go green or else we are doomed are not doing it for political and/or financial reasons?

No matter what side of the fence we sit on, we are all being fed a bunch of bullshit. As I mentioned, we need to be more responsible how we treat this planet. But imho, I think the earth is going through a cycle. Man's activity most likely is having an impact but to think it's mostly manmade (not you but those who are selling the bullshit) are just as irresponsible as those who are messing up this planet.

Respect yours, too.
Some may very well be........but seriously (fucking seriously) doubt its as many as the deniers.
And even if the number is the same (or even more!), at least they will help us move in the right direction, unlike the deniers that profit (and have profited too much, for too long, already).

Of course wrere going thru a cycle....and MAN is having an impact and making things worse.
Simply cant (and absolutely wont) equate one (or those) who at least realize a problem (even if they place too much blame on man-made emissions and not take into account natural processes)/ present and possible future results/ possible solutions (even if only partial ones) to one (or those) who dont realize a problem (or blatantly lie and mislead) / present and possible future results/ possible (credible, not their usual bullshit) solutions (even if those solutions can do nothing to prevent any naturally occuring climate change).
As usual, well have to agree to disagree, as well.
Once, again.....yall take care.
Out.
MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Nick
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE View Post
Respect yours, too.
Some may very well be........but seriously (fucking seriously) doubt its as many as the deniers.
And even if the number is the same (or even more!), at least they will help us move in the right direction, unlike the deniers that profit (and have profited too much, for too long, already).

Of course wrere going thru a cycle....and MAN is having an impact and making things worse.
Simply cant (and absolutely wont) equate one (or those) who at least realize a problem (even if they place too much blame on man-made emissions and not take into account natural processes)/ present and possible future results/ possible solutions (even if only partial ones) to one (or those) who dont realize a problem (or blatantly lie and mislead) / present and possible future results/ possible (credible, not their usual bullshit) solutions (even if those solutions can do nothing to prevent any naturally occuring climate change).
As usual, well have to agree to disagree, as well.
Once, again.....yall take care.
Out.
I don't think we are disagreeing much on this. Maybe our outlook are a bit different but I see we more or less want the same thing here. I would rather err on the side of caution to protect this planet by taking the necessary steps now. And these steps are being taken slowly but surely.

Here are my issues on the political sense.
Being in the energy field, I have some insight to what is going on more than those who are not in the field. It doesn't make me smarter or more knowledgeable on the impact it is having on the planet but I am seeing steps that have been and will continue to been taken to help at least try to keep the air and waters cleaner.

According to the left, the right isn't doing anything to help us become greener. That is simply not true. There was a big initiative taken during Bush's 2 terms to get sulphur levels being emitted into the atmosphere to lower levels. One of the biggest culprits are ocean going vessels. They were one of the biggest polluters out there (90% of the world's cargo are moved by ocean going vessels) The change came into effect I believe in 2012 after years of hammering out details and now less sulphur is being emitted and in 2015, it will be even less. If you're interested, google North American Emissions Control Area.

According to the right, going green is not the answer and that is bullshit.
That simply is a ploy to keep the oil companies in business and profitable.
But it is also the oil companies who are spending billions to make the oil cleaner and researching alternative energy. Not because they really want to but because if they don't, the cry for alternative energy will grow even stronger than it already is. So I guess it's if you can't beat them, join them but we will join you under our rules for now. That seemed to quiet many for the time being.

My issue is neither side wants to find a happy medium. Instead of trying to work together, they are continuously fighting each other. Though the right agreed to lower the sulphur emissions, they would still want to keep the levels higher. But they lost that fight. The left have pushed hard to get it lower and they have pushed it for so low, that it will now become cost prohibitive for many shipping companies to call ports here in the US. Carnival Cruises has recently announced they are pulling their cruiseships out of Norfolk and Baltimore because it will make the cost of buying fuel too high. Now I know most will not cry for Carnival because they are a multi billion dollar company. But it is not Carnival that will suffer but the people/companies in Norfolk and Baltimore that depend on a living from those ports that will suffer.

Very few on the right seem to take into account the ramifications to our environment the higher levels of sulphur will cause to protect profits and at the same time, the jobs that could be lost by making the sulphur too low to protect the environment AND to get more green companies into business that is being pushed by the left.

When shit hit the fan, then they will sit there wondering why. There isn't any long term thinking on the possible ramifications. It's like fuck it, let's do it now and whatever happens, happens. In the process, the average person ends up getting shit on.

Of course I am oversimplying as it entails at lot more details but this is just to give an idea of what is going on.

Fuck Off tm Dipshidiot tm
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
CaptainChaos
Don't Mention the War

Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
Becks

Haven't had time to read all the replies, but my understanding is that the Earths climate moves in cycles (i.e. Ice Age followed by a warmer period and so on) so 'global warming' (I prefer climate change) is not entirely man made IMO. We definitely have an influence though I believe. Not necessarily a climate change thing, but the hole in the ozone layer thanks to pollution sits rights above where I am - that's why you need at least SPF30-50 sunscreen here. I burn in 5 minutes in high summer. Thanks pollution -_-
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #15
The Eye

Lightbulb

Thats why so called scientists are falsifying data. Need to keep that grant money flowing.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
MACHINE

Just wanted to drop this here since it specifically addresses the article mentioned. Yall take care.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro..._nonsense.html
MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #17
Never Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE View Post
Just wanted to drop this here since it specifically addresses the article mentioned. Yall take care.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro..._nonsense.html
That's some really simple basic shit right there. It's also fanny how you can see how eeasy it was for the lying fucking vermin at Faux news to spin those facts into ccomplete bullshit inspiring the posting of threads like this one.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #18
BS2K
Admin

I started the Thread .. Is that directed at me. ? Fox it the LAST thing i watch.
It's ALL lying bullshit. Every angle every outlet. We all know that.

Phil Plait Is one of my Favorites. He is WAY OUT there too. Check him out on the How the Universe works series. His geology explanations are fantastic.
BS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS2K View Post
I started the Thread .. Is that directed at me. ? Fox it the LAST thing i watch.
It's ALL lying bullshit. Every angle every outlet. We all know that.

Phil Plait Is one of my Favorites. He is WAY OUT there too. Check him out on the How the Universe works series. His geology explanations are fantastic.
You suck
Old 11-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
You suck