THE ~XQ~

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Go Back   THE ~XQ~ > GENERAL > News, Social issues and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Little Dreamer
Senior Member
 
Little Dreamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 843
Default Lady Thatcher's funeral

one of the last greatest heroes!

She was one of the main reason for east Europe to be a better and free place.

RIP
Little Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Yam
Senior Member
 
Yam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,281
Default

Not everybody feels the same way.
__________________
Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 Diesel
Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
CaptainChaos
Don't Mention the War
 
CaptainChaos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2,751
Default

I remember her when she was PM & I got my first job & kept it while she was in power & at the age I was, that's all that was important to me at the time.

She wasn't a "yes person" like so many following PMs, thank goodness.
__________________
VA61NA :D
CaptainChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Fabian
Member
 
Fabian's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 90
Default

Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
LadySkull
Senior Member
 
LadySkull's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: On my E-xtendedNetwork lol
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
one of the last greatest heroes!

She was one of the main reason for east Europe to be a better and free place.

RIP
That woman was the worst for many british.
On tv you can see many people gathered to celebrate her death and the same people saw that, think that all people agree with her governance (grrr) blatant lie! the reality is different...many are happy to finally have left this world.

Thanks Fabian to that picture!
LadySkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Yam
Senior Member
 
Yam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,281
Default

The thing is....depending on what your politics are ect.....
On the one hand, to some, she broke the Unions stranglehold which blighted much of the 1970's for many.
She gave people the Right to be able to buy their council Houses.....
She presided over the Falklands War, which to many....saved her at the next Election. Weather it was actually 'worth' fighting for is a moot point among many British people.
I will say that she was a 'strong' PM.....like her or not.
The biggest issue I have is that her Government basically Privatised all you basic amenities.
30 years later its causing more grief to the working class, who are having to pay Foreign owned private company's obscene amounts of money just to heat and power their homes in Gas & Electric.
__________________
Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 Diesel
Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Little Dreamer
Senior Member
 
Little Dreamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySkull View Post
That woman was the worst for many british.
On tv you can see many people gathered to celebrate her death and the same people saw that, think that all people agree with her governance (grrr) blatant lie! the reality is different...many are happy to finally have left this world.

Thanks Fabian to that picture!
I'm not claiming to be first instance in the matter!
...but, would say that any strong personality is controversial, more or less! Today's global political scene absent such strong and powerful personalities.


and btw, the Falkland war was fair and just cause. As I recall well, Argentina seized British territory, which prompting a military response of the Empire and after that the subsequent logical victory!!!
Little Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Yam
Senior Member
 
Yam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
I'm not claiming to be first instance in the matter!
...but, would say that any strong personality is controversial, more or less! Today's global political scene absent such strong and powerful personalities.


and btw, the Falkland war was fair and just cause. As I recall well, Argentina seized British territory, which prompting a military response of the Empire and after that the subsequent logical victory!!!
Many in the UK believe the Falklands to be a worthless Rock in the middle of nowhere !!!
It saved Thatcher that is for sure....after the groundswell of Jingoism after the Victory.
If you know your beans as regard The Falklands War as well....you will know we could have easily lost it as well....even with all 'our' supposed Military Might.
My feelings are that it was used as a Political Motive......Thatcher was deeply Unpopular at the time......and the War proved a distraction, that with the following 'victory' ensued she got a more tolerant public.....for a few years anyways.
__________________
Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 Diesel
Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Little Dreamer
Senior Member
 
Little Dreamer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam View Post
Many in the UK believe the Falklands to be a worthless Rock in the middle of nowhere !!!
It saved Thatcher that is for sure....after the groundswell of Jingoism after the Victory.
If you know your beans as regard The Falklands War as well....you will know we could have easily lost it as well....even with all 'our' supposed Military Might.
My feelings are that it was used as a Political Motive......Thatcher was deeply Unpopular at the time......and the War proved a distraction, that with the following 'victory' ensued she got a more tolerant public.....for a few years anyways.
Humm,this is very lightly ,Yam! Worthless Rock in the middle of nowhere or not, it is British territory and I am strongly convinced that the first cause England to enter the war was to to return the unjust captured territory.
Of course the political dividends derived from the subsequent victory are also present, but it's part of the rules of the game.


and the opinion that England could lose the war seems crazy!??! I remember the position of United States at that time and the very strong support for the closest ally.
Little Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Yam
Senior Member
 
Yam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,281
Default

Yes.....we were very close to calling on the US to help out.
It was more by luck than judgement thay we won that war.

As regard Thatcher.....she came into power the year I left school, 1979.
I think I have balanced view on her legacy.
__________________
Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 Diesel
Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.12 by vBS
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.