THE ~XQ~

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36 PM.

Go Back   THE ~XQ~ > GENERAL > News, Social issues and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
BrianEn

Default Cancer centre puzzles over fate of Lance Armstrong jersey

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...er-centre.html

framed Lance Armstong jersey has become a focus of controversy at Thunder Bay's Regional Health Sciences Centre. The autographed shirt hangs in the cancer centre, just outside the chemotherapy room — and not everyone thinks it should stay there.
Scott Chisholm helped bring the signed Tour De France jersey to the Thunder Bay cancer program facility, back in 2006, when the city's firefighters wanted Armstrong's successful battle with cancer to be an inspiration. Chisholm said he expected controversy after Lance Armstrong recently admitted to doping during his cycling career.
In this July 22, 2004, file photo, Lance Armstrong reacts as he crosses the finish line to win the 17th stage of the Tour de France cycling race between Bourd-d'Oisans and Le Grand Bornand, French Alps. In 2004, Armstrong was also named Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year and ESPN's ESPY Award for Best Male Athlete. (AP Photo/Laurent Rebours)While Chisholm said he feels let down by the doping, he said he believes Armstrong has helped many people.
“What was written in his books and the inspiration, it got people on their bikes,” he said. "It certainly changed the whole world of cancer prevention and cancer awareness."
Patient complaints

The director with Regional Cancer Care Northwest said the yellow jersey has been a source of hope, but there have been complaints.
“There have been a few patients that have been very vocal about their concerns with it being in the cancer program,” Joanne Lacourciere said.
“So we have to honour everyone’s perspectives.”
Lacourciere said the cancer centre hopes to decide what to do with the jersey within a few weeks.
"It's a tough one,” she said.
“Everyone looks at it from a different perspective. Everyone relates to Lance, and his story, in a very different way. So it is a challenge for the cancer program to figure out what to do next with the display."
Lacourciere said officials with the cancer centre plan to meet with some of the patients as they attempt “to figure out what the right thing is to do."
BrianEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Nick
Super Moderator

There is no doubt that Armstrong did a lot for cancer awareness/research.
That can never be taken away from him. But for all he has done, he has completely tarnished his image with many.

Fuck Off tm Dipshidiot tm
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Little Dreamer

the myth of the fair sporting results dies with the death of Florence Joyner..........

Armstrong is just one of the many....
а man who had the courage to admit!!!
Little Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
the myth of the fair sporting results dies with the death of Florence Joyner..........

Don't agree...
Firstly, Flo-Jo never failed a drugs test. We can speculate all we like...but the fact is...if she was on steroids ...she was never caught.
You have to go with...innocent until proven guilty.
She died young...suddenly.....it happens, terrible tho it is.

Lance Armstrong...."a man who had the courage to admit"

Is this after denying any cheating for 15 years until about 10 of his team mates said he was the ring leader in the most sophisticated blood doping group team ever !!!!

The bloke wants to compete in Triathlon....he knows he has no choice now.
Disgraced.....and finished.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Nick
Super Moderator

Quote:

The courage to admit?
Sorry Eugeny, but I completely disagree here.
The walls were closing in on him.
He figured it's better to admit it from his own mouth before the evidence was too strong to deny. This is not courage. This is him just trying to protect what would be left of his reputation if it came out from a third party.
Also, considering the path of destruction he left with the people he crushed to protect his reputation, that is not a man of courage. That is a coward.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Little Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The courage to admit?
Sorry Eugeny, but I completely disagree here.
The walls were closing in on him.
He figured it's better to admit it from his own mouth before the evidence was too strong to deny. This is not courage. This is him just trying to protect what would be left of his reputation if it came out from a third party.
Also, considering the path of destruction he left with the people he crushed to protect his reputation, that is not a man of courage. That is a coward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam
Don't agree...
Firstly, Flo-Jo never failed a drugs test. We can speculate all we like...but the fact is...if she was on steroids ...she was never caught.
You have to go with...innocent until proven guilty.
She died young...suddenly.....it happens, terrible tho it is.

Lance Armstrong...."a man who had the courage to admit"

Is this after denying any cheating for 15 years until about 10 of his team mates said he was the ring leader in the most sophisticated blood doping group team ever !!!!

The bloke wants to compete in Triathlon....he knows he has no choice now.
Disgraced.....and finished.
Ок, maybe i didnt express properly .

I know that Lans was pressed by the facts and that's why he addmited the guilt. However, many others are waiting until the last test ..and even after the second positive ,they still deny and deny ....

I still greatly admire this man for his victory over the cancer!!!

...and Yam, even the small children knows what happened /and 100% sure/ still happening in the world of athletics!
Some of the records are still there...especially in the female athletics. Some high scores.made in the 80's, in the mid 90's ......invincible until today!!??
Cant you guess why
Little Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Yam

The gains are so big money wise there are always going to be people who risk it and cheat.
I think more sports will find they have a problem....not just athletics and cycling.

You don't have to talk to me as a 'small child' ace I understand everything that has been happening to 'money sports' and related steroid help.
Never mind the 90's & 80's.....it was started in the early 70's by the East European athlete's.
Think back to 1988 and the infamous Ben Johnson 100m final.
Basically Ben was 'thick'......if he had followed his 'doctors' advice he would never have been found out.
But he took his steroids to close to the finals....because he was coming back from injury.
It has been said since by a number of people....all 8 runners in that final were on the 'juice', not just Johnson.

So what do we do......legalise it ? to make a flat playing field !!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Nick
Super Moderator

In my view, this is not just about cheating in their sport. Many athletes do it. It doesn't make it right but it is what it is. For me, this is about what he did to people to protect his reputation. People who were essentially 100% right about him but he soiled their reputations, cost them money and God knows what else.

No one can deny it takes courage to defeat cancer.
And as I said, you cannot take away what he has done for raising money for cancer research, etc. But for the people he tried to take down, in my opinion, makes him a coward.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
MORRISON

Quote:

FloJo ruled.

BREAKING THE LAW! New version coming out soon. With an additional live version as well.
MORRISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Yam

Just a point as regard Flo-Jo's death......it was not from anything drug related.

from Wiki...

On September 21, 1998, Griffith-Joyner died in her sleep at home in Canyon Crest Heights, California at the age of 38. The unexpected death was investigated by the sheriff-coroner's office, which announced on October 22 that the cause of death was suffocation during a severe epileptic seizure. She was also found to have had a cavernous hemangioma, a congenital brain abnormality that made Joyner subject to seizures. According to a family attorney, she had suffered a tonic–clonic seizure in 1990, and had also been treated for seizures in 1993 and 1994.
Griffith-Joyner's supporters claimed that the autopsy cleared her of allegations that she used performance-enhancing drugs. The Orange County coroner's office noted that the autopsy records showed that she did not die from drugs or banned substances. The coroner had requested that Griffith-Joyner's body specifically be tested for steroids, but was informed that there was not enough urine in her bladder and that the test could not accurately be performed on other biological samples. The City of Mission Viejo dedicated a park at the entrance to her neighborhood in her honor.