THE ~XQ~

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Go Back   THE ~XQ~ > GENERAL > News, Social issues and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
PriestareGod

I don´t think a gun ban woulld help. Like others have already said, the guns are there and they´re not going to disappear just because they´re banned.

There really isn´t a valid reason for anyone to own an "assault" rifle other than just wanting one because they´re cool. On the other hand , take the Ruger Mini 14 http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14...le/models.html

In it´s stock form it doesn´t look like an assault rifle. Change a few parts and it looks a lot more dangerous . It is, essentially the same rifle though.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14...le/models.html

Even if assault rifles are banned, you can do almost as much damage with an automatic pistol. It can be reloaded in an instant and you can carry hundreds of rounds with you.

Even if a school had two security guards, an assailant could easily just take them out and march inside to kill everyone.

I just don´t see a way to stop a sicko from killing alot of people if he puts his mind to it.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Nick
Super Moderator

There is nothing that can ever be done that will be 100% full proof but if some measures are put into place and it saves even 1 life, it's worth it. Trying to do something is better than doing nothing at all.

Fuck Off tm Dipshidiot tm
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #13
PK68

If someone wants to kill a bunch of people they will find a way. Banning guns won't help. It would keep law abiding people from being able to get them. But that wouldn't stop a criminal or a wannabe criminal.

The shooting that took place in Oregon recently was stopped or shortened at least because someone else there had a concealed weapon and drew it on the shooter while their gun was jammed. The person couldn't make the shot but the shooter saw them, unjammed their gun and killed themself instead of taking more lives.

And in China some nut went around stabbing a bunch of kids. So people like that will find a way to do harm. Whether it's guns, knives, bombs or the like.

One thing is for sure, I don't need a bunch of celebrities getting on twitter and fb to tell me what to do. They don't know any better than anyone else.

I am the darkness, born out of light!!!
PK68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
Never Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There is nothing that can ever be done that will be 100% full proof but if some measures are put into place and it saves even 1 life, it's worth it. Trying to do something is better than doing nothing at all.
Well judging by the media all kindsa somethings are trying to be done. Lets hope it's the right somethings that get done.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Nick
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
Well judging by the media all kindsa somethings are trying to be done. Lets hope it's the right somethings that get done.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Have have very little if any faith in our government doing the right thing at the end. I hope they prove me wrong.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK68 View Post
One thing is for sure, I don't need a bunch of celebrities getting on twitter and fb to tell me what to do. They don't know any better than anyone else.
Spot on ace.....the same applies to the Government as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Nick
Super Moderator

Is this just lip service or will they follow through

Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
CaptainChaos
Don't Mention the War

I must admit that I didn't read all of that article, Nick, but one bit stood out (near the beginning so I was still awake) ....

“The N.R.A. is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to make sure this never happens again,” the statement said. It did not offer details."

But doesn't someone say that every time something like this happens?

What exactly do they mean by "meaningful" contributions?

Maybe I'm so far out of the gun ownership thing that I really don't know who what why when how, but just saying that controbutions thing is a "hey we'll do what we can" which doesn't really help anyone anywhere ... I don't know ...
Old 12-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Nick
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
I must admit that I didn't read all of that article, Nick, but one bit stood out (near the beginning so I was still awake) ....

“The N.R.A. is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to make sure this never happens again,” the statement said. It did not offer details."

But doesn't someone say that every time something like this happens?

What exactly do they mean by "meaningful" contributions?

Maybe I'm so far out of the gun ownership thing that I really don't know who what why when how, but just saying that controbutions thing is a "hey we'll do what we can" which doesn't really help anyone anywhere ... I don't know ...
That is why I put in "is this just lip service" in the title of the link. Usually, when a tragedy like this happens, everybody is up in arms and are screaming for changes and at the end, nothing happens. But I have to admit, this statement by the NRA raised my eyebrow:

Quote:
The National Rifle Association broke its silence on the massacre with what it called an “important statement from the National Rifle Association,” saying that the organization, which has steadfastly fought almost any federal or state gun control legislation, was potentially reconsidering its position.
This is the first time I have ever seen the NRA say anything remotely close to "reconsidering its position". Of course, this could all amount to absolutely nothing from their side and most likely will end up being just lip service. But it was interesting to see them bend even just a tiny bit.

I am not for a full out ban on guns. I own a gun myself for hunting.
But I just don't see any use for any civilian to own an assault weapon.
Yes, I know the bad guys don't follow the rules but even if it keeps one guy from obtaining an assault weapon and causing more deaths, that's a good thing, no? Doing nothing is the worst thing that can be done, in my humble opinion.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Never Satisfied

[quote=Yam;42948][quote=PK68;42938]
Quote:
Spot on ace.....the same applies to the Government as well.
Well, third THAT notion. I could give a fuck less what Sheryl Crow OR Ted Nugent has to say about this issue.