THE ~XQ~

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Go Back   THE ~XQ~ > GENERAL > METAL AND MORE!
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
The Finnish Ripper

Default Turbo 30 - a review

As promised earlier, here's a proper fan review of Turbo 30 which concentrates on its differences to the original album, unlike the "omg Turbo sux" review by Blabbermouth.

Playback equipment used:
Pioneer SA-550 stereo amplifier
LG V290 DVD/VHS player (for CDs)
Pioneer PL-640 turntable (for the original LP, just for comparison)
JVC SP-MX550J speakers

Packaging
The first noticeable thing is that, despite also containing 3 CDs, this release is a lot thinner than the British Steel and Defenders of the Faith 30th Anniversary Editions which were housed in very bulky cases. In fact, when all folded up Turbo 30 takes no more room than a standard CD jewel case. Aside from very slight embossing, the cover has no special features.

Once folded out, the reason for the slimness of the packaging is revealed. Instead of the plastic holders of previous anniversary editions, the case has tight-fitting cardboard sleeves similar to the Redeemer of Souls Deluxe Edition. It's quite difficult to remove the CDs from the case as you have to carefully pull them from the small edge that is showing out. As can be seen below, each sleeve features a photo of each member (barring Dave Holland, as usual) during the Turbo Lover music video shoots.

Booklet
Continuing with the "slimline" theme, the booklet is also a lot thinner than in the Defenders anniversary edition. Only one page is dedicated to the band's notes about the recording process and how the feel about the album, followed by a period-accurate group photo that (gasp!) features Dave Holland.

The next two pages feature song lyrics with the Turbo cover art (coloured all-red) faintly in the background, and after a third page of lyrics there's the only noticeable error of the release: a photo of Rob and Glenn on stage... from the 1988 tour! The same photo has been used on the internet during promotion of Turbo 30, so evidently someone at Sony Music got their Halford mullets mixed up. Photos for each band member (excluding Dave) follow before the production credits.

A slightly less impressive package (compared to DOTF), with one notable error.

Sound quality
The new remaster, this time by Mandy Parnell, is much better than the horribly brickwalled 2001 edition. The sound is more dynamic and in my opinion is the best version of the album I have right now (yes, I even prefer this to the original vinyl LP, although that may be because my record player isn't in a good shape).

Now for the main feature of this set - the Kansas City 1986 live show. This is far better than Priest...Live!. Not only is the band firing on all cylinders, the sound mix (by Tom Allom and Jack Rushton) is very heavy and much less polished, making the concert very enjoyable to listen in my opinion. In fact, I'm inclined to say this the best-sounding Priest live album ever!

Unfortunately, like in the Defenders anniversary edition some of Rob's stage banter is cut for whatever reason, making some of the transitions between songs not as smooth as they should be. Also, the two errors found in the original bootleg version of this concert (the failed synth guitar intro at the start of Private Property, and Rob's mic going off during Hell Bent for Leather) have been patched up, likely with material recorded elsewhere on the tour. This is not a problem in my opinion, I much prefer the concert without those flaws and the edits are done pretty well.

In short: you should definitely get this. Even if you don't like Turbo, I definitely recommend this set solely for the live concert. It'll knock your socks off! And if you like at least some of the songs on the album, you get the added bonus of a better CD release than the old remaster.

4/5 would recommend. point dropped because of the error in the booklet and the unnecessary cutting of Rob's stage banter.
The Finnish Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
tasnam

Great review and I agree on all your points!

I would not change one point of your comments!!
tasnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
tasnam

Also, (I might be mistaken) but this is the first time VOC from the 1986 FFL tour has been released with the concert...correct?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
The Finnish Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
Also, (I might be mistaken) but this is the first time VOC from the 1986 FFL tour has been released with the concert...correct?
Yes, this is the first official release to contain a 1986 live version of VOC. It was performed on most dates of the tour, but was dropped in favor of Parental Guidance for the Priest...Live! concerts.
The Finnish Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
tasnam

I have to say I am enjoying this Live version of the Priest quite a bit....
Old 02-18-2017, 03:48 AM   #6
Screamingdoug

Thanks for the review. Gotta say it's cool that they included these live shows in the anniversary editions! Just got the Defenders set. I plan on getting the Turbo set soon (although I must say I don't really want another version of Turbo!)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
MORRISON

I just got my copy and so far, I am enjoying it. As a rule, I don't listen to Priest...Live! because - well, it's sub par to me. The sound of the live discs in this set are quite good and it's really great to hear a good version of Rob's old voice again :Fist:

The Turbo 30 disc is improved over the original and the remasters version. In my car, I have been able to pick up on what sounds like improvements to me. Also, as mentioned elsewhere - the live discs sound much heavier than that of Priest...Live!

It's a nice trip back in time.

I am hoping they will do something for Ram It Down, especially if it includes cleaned up versions of readily available pro shot concert footage of the tour.

BREAKING THE LAW! New version coming out soon. With an additional live version as well.
MORRISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
tasnam

Morrison,

Agreed on all your points 100%