THE ~XQ~

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Go Back   THE ~XQ~ > GENERAL > METAL AND MORE!
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2016, 01:37 AM   #11
tasnam

Thanks Finnish Ripper.

I can tell you that some info might be incorrect (Again we are simply rehashing 30 year old useless facts at this point)

CD's in the 80's had about 80 minutes of max audio time

Cassettes (XL length) could go up to 120 min....now I do Not believe that the CS version was a full 120 min, but I know for sure in the USA the CS version had more songs than the CD version....I had both.

So the website might have accurate info for EU, but in 1987 the CS was great because of the extra songs (3 I believe)

Funny side note, the older cassette players would not be able to play 120 min CS as they were not strong enough to turn the actual gears toward the end of the tapes.

Again this is all just stupid facts that a Metal Geek like me sucks up for Priest.
tasnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
The Finnish Ripper

Actually, CDs originally couldn't hold more than 74 minutes of music, which is why some early CD releases of double vinyl albums had songs removed from them (for example, World Wide Live by Scorpions). Only in the late 80s did the manufacturing standards reach a level where the now-standard 80 minutes (79 minutes 57 seconds, to be exact) became feasible without any quality loss. The original Priest...Live! album is about 78 minutes long in total, so they had to use some highly advanced CD technology (for its time) to make it fit on just one disc.

All cassette releases of the album I could find, even US ones, had just the standard album content. But since I didn't live during that era, it's entirely possible that an XL cassette version was available at some point, just not very widely.

But yes, this is a fairly meaningless debate about something that's now easily available in digital form.
The Finnish Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #13
Fabian

I have this tape from another Priest live record with the extra tracks

https://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest...elease/4721251

Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
The Finnish Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I have this tape from another Priest live record with the extra tracks

https://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest...elease/4721251

Yeah, that's one of only three official releases to include BTROD from the Unleashed concerts (the other two being a bonus 7" EP in the original UK album release and a Rock Forever 12" single released in the Netherlands in 1981).

Preordered my copy of Turbo 30 now. Expect a full review when it arrives in a month or so!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
tasnam

Very interesting that BTROD is on this original cassette special release, but not on re-releases or re-masters.

Has this VERY SPECIFIC Live performance (of BTROD) shown up on any other collections? I would like to hear Rob and the band on from this show....
Old 01-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
Very interesting that BTROD is on this original cassette special release, but not on re-releases or re-masters.

Has this VERY SPECIFIC Live performance (of BTROD) shown up on any other collections? I would like to hear Rob and the band on from this show....
only in that tape and vinyl sp. ed, not in other place
that performance.

and this EP
https://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest...elease/2918688

Old 01-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
Fabian

Shitty review
nothing about extras
http://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreview...rsary-edition/
Old 01-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
tasnam

Yeah tough review....

Turbo is a good album for 1986 and it was part of that era...simple as that...some good, some less good but timely for 1986....people forget.

BTW - RECKLESS so shamelessly underrated........

Back to subject above...How is the quality of this version of BTROD from the U.K. Cassette? Vocals????

Anyone have a sample on Youtube?
Old 01-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
Yeah tough review....

Turbo is a good album for 1986 and it was part of that era...simple as that...some good, some less good but timely for 1986....people forget.

BTW - RECKLESS so shamelessly underrated........

Back to subject above...How is the quality of this version of BTROD from the U.K. Cassette? Vocals????

Anyone have a sample on Youtube?
from the Nuppiz site

https://mega.nz/#!3MVXCRQa!V73MRPTq3...pipUF3qhBnTJLo
Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
The Finnish Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Seems that the author was too preoccupied with "OMG Turbo sux why did they re-release it!?". There's not even a comment about the packaging or the audio quality of the new remastering, just endless slagging off about an album released almost 31 years ago.

Well, I guess I'll have to review it then when I get a copy...