THE ~XQ~

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Go Back   THE ~XQ~ > GENERAL > METAL AND MORE!
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
The Finnish Ripper

Default Turbo 30 - release 3th February

It's confirmed, Turbo is also getting a 30th Anniversary release: http://noticeboard.judaspriest.com/n...2-741CF083BFB5

Slightly surprised that they're actually doing this, considering that it's among their more controversial albums and the band is seemingly willing to forget the whole thing ever existed (bar Turbo Lover).

The choice for bonus content also threw me off - following the example of Long Beach 1984, the St. Louis 1986 radio show would've been logical as it has been used for a number of b-sides and bonus tracks over the years. Instead, they're using the Kansas City show which was recorded a day earlier as a backup (and was later broadcast partially).

Oh well, one more bootleg I have to remove from my site because it's getting an official release!
The Finnish Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
MORRISON

Yeah, there isn't much they could do to make me want to buy this release.

BREAKING THE LAW! New version coming out soon. With an additional live version as well.
MORRISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:28 AM   #3
tasnam

How does the Kansas city release compare to:

#1 Dallas DVD show {not full 100% Dallas show I realize}
#2 Audi0 1986 CD (supposed Dallas show but not fully)
#3 The afore-mentioned {post} Kansas City recording

?
tasnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
The Finnish Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
How does the Kansas city release compare to:

#1 Dallas DVD show {not full 100% Dallas show I realize}
#2 Audi0 1986 CD (supposed Dallas show but not fully)
#3 The afore-mentioned {post} St. Louis recording

?
At least in the version I have, the sound is a lot drier: there's much less crowd noise and the instruments sound more compressed. Someone else has uploaded the whole thing on YouTube, here's an example:
[youtube]ecgKrdD0gRg[/youtube]
Also, the synth guitar intro of Private Property is completely messed up, while during Hell Bent for Leather Rob's microphone goes off.

I suppose it's remastered like the main album so the sound quality might be better and the errors are fixed. But knowing Priest's management, it could just as well be completely unedited!

On a related note, the Priest...Live! video was mostly filmed in Dallas (with the pyrotechnics shot in San Antonio), while the album was mostly recorded at The Omni in Atlanta, Georgia. I've watched and listened to both quite a few times and there are some subtle differences in Rob's stage banter and the way how the songs are played.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #5
tasnam

Excellent detail.

So question (and I know this is useless information)

Is the Priest...Live! Video 100% the same for the following:

Original -
#1 VHS
#2 Laserdisc
#3 Eventual DVD (Electric Eye)

{No I don't know the answer, but you seem to have some excellent background info....}
Old 12-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
The Finnish Ripper

Quote:
Excellent detail.

So question (and I know this is useless information)

Is the Priest...Live! Video 100% the same for the following:

Original -
#1 VHS
#2 Laserdisc
#3 Eventual DVD (Electric Eye)

{No I don't know the answer, but you seem to have some excellent background info....}
I don't know that either. I only have the DVD version.

I've heard rumours that the original cassette version of the album has more stage banter and is longer than the LP/CD, but nothing about there being a similar case with the video.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
tasnam

I can CONFIRM that the Audio Cassette version is longer than the CD Audio 1987 version.

I was more asking about the 3 forms of video releases

But who cares I guess....all the same BTL, TL, LAM, YGATC.....ect...........
Old 12-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
I can CONFIRM that the Audio Cassette version is longer than the CD Audio 1987 version.

I was more asking about the 3 forms of video releases

But who cares I guess....all the same BTL, TL, LAM, YGATC.....ect...........
More details about the tape please
Maybe its the same lenght as the LPs?

Halford banter is curtailed in CD if my memory serves well
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
tasnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
More details about the tape please
Maybe its the same lenght as the LPs?

Halford banter is curtailed in CD if my memory serves well

Correct. I haven't had the cassette since the 80's but I think prior comments are accurate in that it "may" have mirrored the LP (I never had the records - so I cannot compare)

I know for a fact the CD Audio (original release) didn't have some tracts, and Halford Banter.

I remember missing from the CD: Locked in for sure (Which is actually a very good live version IMO, and Halford famous "Looks like we've got about 13,000 metal maniacs here AGAIN tonight.... Are you ready for some Priest style Heavy Metal this evening Dallas?"

I would play that banter over and over as I wished I was there.

I think Desert Plains and Metal Gods were on the cassette.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
The Finnish Ripper

Quote:
Correct. I haven't had the cassette since the 80's but I think prior comments are accurate in that it "may" have mirrored the LP (I never had the records - so I cannot compare)

I know for a fact the CD Audio (original release) didn't have some tracts, and Halford Banter.

I remember missing from the CD: Locked in for sure (Which is actually a very good live version IMO, and Halford famous "Looks like we've got about 13,000 metal maniacs here AGAIN tonight.... Are you ready for some Priest style Heavy Metal this evening Dallas?"

I would play that banter over and over as I wished I was there.

I think Desert Plains and Metal Gods were on the cassette.
Locked In and Desert Plains weren't on the 1987 LP, at least not in the Dutch pressing I have. In fact the LP has the exact same track listing as the remastered CD (minus the bonus tracks, of course).

Also, Rob says "Sunday night and The Priest is back... looks like we've got another 20,000 heavy metal maniacs here tonight" before Heading Out to the Highway, another clue that the album (or most of it) was recorded in Atlanta on June 15th, which was a Sunday in 1986. According to Billboard data that audience figure is grossly inflated though, as the concert was actually among the worst selling dates of the whole tour (selling only 7,225 out of 17,037 available tickets). In fact, the Dallas show sold far better (14,121 out of 19,000 tickets, so Rob was pretty accurate with his estimate). The only shows where the 20,000 figure would be accurate were the May 11th Los Angeles, CA and May 18th Tacoma, WA shows, incidentally both on Sundays as well...

I did some digging at Discogs, and according to their database all cassette, CD and LP versions of the album released in 1987 had the exact same track list (except the promo sampler CD, of course).